Monday, April 14, 2014

Hey everyone!

Is it really already Monday? Time is flying by faster and faster as I go on in my mission, I can't believe I've already been out for nine months on my mission!  I'm realizing more and more how much I need to take advantage of all the time I have left here.

So this has probably been the craziest week I have had in my mission, mainly because of Saturday.  So my companion (yes, I'm blaming him) forgot to set our alarm on Friday night so, we ended up sleeping in until 8:00 Saturday morning instead of 7 like we're supposed to (I'm pretty sure that happens to every missionary at least once). As we are rushing to get ready for the day we realize that we are out of gas (we use a gas propane tank to get hot water) to get hot water for our showers.  I try calling the number of the gas company but it doesn't work.  That morning we had service planned with a member of our ward so we just decided we'd go do that and shower after lunch.  We helped Hermano Villanueva "order" a bunch of junk in his yard and then went to lunch at Mamita´s. She gave us the right number and we were able to call the gas company to get a new gas tank.  Unfortunately, the gas heater still didn't work. We call the senior missionary in charge of the houses and he tells us that he'll have to send someone to fix it one of these days.  So we have had to use our electrical heater that we use to make hot chocolate and oatmeal to bathe these past few days.  We then left to work and passed by a member family who was selling completos (hot dogs with avocado, tomato and mayo) for a fundraiser.  We had to buy a couple to support them of course! Then just as we were about to leave their house who should knock on the door but the sister missionaries in the branch who came to visit the family too.  It looked really bad because we were eating on a fast Saturday (here we always fast dinner saturday and breakfast sunday morning) but we are postponing the fast a week because I've had a cold this week, but they didn't know that.  My companion, as district leader was pretty embarrased. We then went to a lesson with Hernan and Carolina.  They have made the decision to separate which is really sad for their family.  Their nine year old daughter was crying when they told us which made me feel really bad.  I hope that Hernan will keep listening to us but we'll have to see what happens.

Then we come to yesterday when we had a normal sacrament meeting.  None of our investigators ended up coming. :( Then our lunch fell (on sundays we eat lunch with members) so we had to whip something up ourselves.  Luckily a member had given me some salmon this week.  So I found my inner Iron Chef and cooked some salmon with noodles (Mom, you should be proud of me ;).  I don't know how all of these things ended up happening in just two days but I was thinking about why it would have happened and I've realized that I learned a lot from these experiences.  Sometimes in life, things are going to happen that we can let get in our way, or just laugh and enjoy the experience.  Being without hot water kind of stinks, but its been really funny to have to adjust and get things to work out anyway. Without lunch being made for us by members, I had to adjust and cook my own, which was actually pretty fun.

Hope everyone has a great Easter Sunday remembering the resurrection of our Savior Jesus Christ.  I know that He lives and that because he lives, we will all live again with our families together forever if we do our part. Thanks for all of your support, love you all!



Glad everyone has had a good week.  It's getting a little colder and a little rainier each day but luckily I came prepared and haven't had a problem with it so far.  I miss Dexter. There's a family in our branch that has a maltese that looks a lot like him. I picked him up and he licked all over my face which my companion thought was funny but it made me miss my puppy a lot haha.

Questions
#1-  How do Chileans celebrate Easter?
 Here all week is the "holy week" for the catholic church where I guess they don't eat meat all week to remember Christ's death or something, I don't really understand it, but they have the easter bunny too just like us.
#2- What is your apartment like?
Its really nice, one of the nicest in the mission.
#3- Are you going to send pictures?  We would love to have a picture of each of your companions and a picture of where you live.  Also, cool sights around the city.
 I'll try to take some this week. Sorry I never really think about it throughout the week, I need to do better haha.

I look forward to the package, how long have the other ones taken? I forget but I'll be looking for it by the end of the month.

Love ya!
.Elder Cameron Dower

No comments:

Post a Comment